If you have not read Foucault’s main text on heterotopia, the easiest source on-line is to be found at Foucault-info – although there are better translations (see below). This text, entitled ‘Des Espace Autres'” was published by the French journal Architecture /Mouvement/ Continuité in 1984. It is based on a lecture given by Foucault in 1967.
Recommended reading list on heterotopia
1. An essay by Daniel Defert, Foucault’s long-term partner:
Defert, D. (1997) ‘Foucault, Space, and the Architects’ in Politics/Poetics: Documenta X – The Book, Ostfildern-Ruit: Cantz Verlag, 274-283.
2. Kevin Hetherington’s Badlands of Modernity – insightful and influential study:
Hetherington, K. (1997) The Badlands of Modernity: Heterotopia and Social Ordering, London: Routledge.
3. Casarino’s study of sea narratives uses heterotopia as a heuristic device to explore the tensions and crises at the heart of modernity (capitalism).
Casarino, C. (2002) Modernity at Sea: Melville, Marx, Conrad in Crisis, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
4. A series of essays (in both English and German):
Ritter, R. and Knaller-Vlay, B., (eds.) (1998) Other Spaces: The Affair of the Heterotopia, Dokumente zur Architektur 10, Graz, Austria: Haus der Architektur.
5. A series of transnational essays. This excellent collection of essays has a new translation of Foucault’s lecture and also a very stimulating piece by the editors, working towards a ‘general theory’ of heterotopia.
6. Essay by James Faubion from the above is also spot on I think:
Faubion, J. (2008) ‘Heterotopia: an ecology’ in M. Dehaene and L. De Cauter (eds.), Heterotopia and the City, London and New York: Routledge, 31-40.
7. The English translation of Foucault’s lecture on heterotopia that I have referenced on this website:
Foucault, M. (1998) ‘Different Spaces’ (trans. M. Hurley) in J. D. Faubion (ed.), Aesthetics, Method, and Epistemology: Essential Works of Foucault Volume 2. London: Penguin, 175-185.
8. Most recent collection of essays on heterotopia:
Palladino, M and Miller, J. (eds.) (2015) The Globalization of Space. London: Pickering and Chatto.
General Links: Foucault
Foucault Studies An ejournal providing a transnational ‘forum for discussion of Foucault which goes beyond received orthodoxies, simplifications and uncritical appropriations’. Free to register and download.
michel-foucault.com Extensive, lively and informative site created by Clare O’Farrell. It contains news of publications and conferences, bibliographies, a blog and much more.
Portail: Foucault Complete, authoritative French archive of Foucault’s work